COLLEGE STATION, Texas - The death of a fraternity pledge at Texas A&M
earlier this year has been ruled an accident attributed to the toxic
effects of Adderall, according to an autopsy report released Thursday.
Joseph Little, 18, died Aug. 28 – two days
after suffering a seizure at his Calloway House apartment and being
rushed to a hospital. The freshman had been accepted to Phi Gamma Delta
fraternity just before his death.
According to the autopsy report, Little’s blood
taken when he was admitted to the hospital tested positive for
cannabinoids and amphetamine.
An investigation revealed that Little had
been up the night before he began seizing as part of a rush event,
according to the report. He had snorted Adderall -- an amphetamine used
to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder -- before standing
outside next to a statue on campus for nearly four hours in a suit and
tie. Temperatures ranged from 77 to 91 degrees.
According to the report, when Little
returned to his apartment later that day, he complained of being tired
and began having seizures. Little seized for nearly a half-hour. His
temperature climbed as high as 104 degrees and his blood pressure went
as high as 204/179.
Little’s cause of death was listed as strokes due to seizures due to toxic effects of amphetamine.
The fraternity was suspended after a university review determined rules related to hazing and alcohol had been violated.