January 23, 2013
Residents Note City Street Closures & Traffic Advisories
(Galveston, TX) January 23, 2013 - This weekend, the City welcomes area athletes competing in the Galveston Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday, January 27. The course takes runners through several of the Island's premiere areas including the charming Strand and Silk Stocking historic districts, the Seawall and beachfront, and the scenic East End lagoon. For more event details please visit http://www.galvestonmarathon.com/.
Street & Traffic Lane Closures:
- No Parking signs will be placed along the race route beginning Saturday, January 26.
- Crews will begin closing lanes and roadway access at 4:30 AM on Sunday, January 27.
- Cones and barricades will remain in place until the 1:30 PM on Sunday, January 27.
- Cones will be placed in traffic lanes along the race route to alert drivers that athletes may be sharing the lane with them.
- Along Seawall eastbound: the right traffic lane and the parking lane will be closed 45th Street to East Beach Drive.
- The west bound right lane from Apffel Park Road and Seawall to University and Seawall will be closed.
- Strand Street between 21st and 24th Streets will be closed to vehicular traffic 6 AM - 1 PM.
- The marathon's course will start and end at Saengerfest Park at Strand & 23rd Street.