October 30, 2010
GALVESTON - A Dallas County couple is suing a propane gas provider after the husband was burned in a flash fire at their Galveston beach house.
According to a lawsuit filed in Galveston County District Court, Stephen Dinjar tried to light the water heater pilots in the attic of the house when fire engulfed the entire area
immediately upon ignition.
Dinjar tried to light the pilots for a propane tank purchased from Ferrellgas after Hurricane Ike and for their property's gas lines to fully and properly function.
According to the suit, Ferrellgas assured the Dinjars there were no problems with the connections, therefore neither water heater nor other appliances in the house required a red tag.
The blast erupted from one end of the attic to the other.
Dinjar claims he suffered severe burns to his face, scalp, legs, hands and fingers.
"As a direct and proximate result of the burns and injuries suffered by Mr. Dinjar, a very painful and debilitating treatment and healing process ensued including debridement and skin grafts," the
"Mr. Dinjar has been left with permanent scarring, disfigurement, pain and impairment to his extremities including his legs."
Stephen's wife, Sheila Dinjar, is also a plaintiff in the suit.
The Dinjars seek unspecified monetary damages and a jury trial.
The case has been assigned to Galveston County 405th District Court Judge Wayne Mallia.