Two people who were severely burned Friday morning in a South Side
motel fire may have been cooking meth prior to the blaze, according to
officials with the San Antonio Fire Department.
Firefighters responded around 4:20 a.m. to the fire at
the Ever-Kleen Motel in the 1300 block of Roosevelt Avenue, where they
discovered one of the units totally engulfed in flames.
RELATED: Affidavit: Inmate asked for directions moments before alleged escape
The fire was eventually extinguished, but two victims
were badly burned. A woman suffered first and second degree burns to 75
percent of her body, and a man suffered first and second degree burns
over his body as well, officials said. Both were transported to San
Antonio Military Medical Center in serious condition.
Officials with the San Antonio Fire Department said the
two victims were possibly cooking meth before the fire ignited, though
its unclear if the illicit drug production caused the blaze.
RELATED: Report: 8 cartel members arrested in Mexico after officials say they killed 16 people